Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Cotton Candy Dancing Girl


Sugar: the Dancing Girl Embroidery by Bingo Buttercup Crafts
I am a newbie to the world of embroidery. But I am utterly in love with using embroidery as art. Its supremely versatile  quirky, whimsical, subversive- the adjectives are endless. The stitches range in skill level, from kid-friendly to expert detail. You can use patterns or doodle your own design on a piece of fabric and get to work free-form style. I chose to dive in head first with my embroidery endeavors on a road trip last April. First, I drew my design, a cute cartoonish burlesque dancer, onto my cloth with a regular no.2 pencil. I secured in place in my hoop and went to town with a "thing of multicolored thread." ( Translation= a skein of variegated embroidery floss.) I loved what I came up with though- even if its a bit rough around the edges.



No comments: